Saturday, August 19, 2006

How many can you eat?

Oh, memories of trying to slurp down as many oysters in little plastic cups as possible. Seeing Stephanie Simao's piece on Milford's Oyster Festival this weekend made me reminisce about entering an oyster eating contest with our David Springer.Oyster2_1



These are the actual oysters that David Springer and I tried to keep down during an eating contest at the Norwalk Oyster Fest two years ago. Actually, if you missed out on today's shucking and slurping in Milford, The Norwalk Seaport Association Oyster Festival is coming up in three weeks, September 8th, 9th and 10th.



Oyster1Yes, this looks like David and I are doing some type of dance, jamming out to the bands at the oyster fest-- did I mention Bo Bice of American Idol fame will perform this year? Actually, David and I are doing a pre-oyster eating stretch.



As for how we did. Not so well. I actually thought I'd do okay- considering I like raw oysters. However, I quickly learned eating them as quickly as possible out of little plastic cups was very different from sitting in a restaurant putting each oyster on a cracker with tons of horseradish.



If I remember correctly, someone from the Norwalk Sanitation Department won. I think David and I came in next to last and last.  However, even if you don't like oysters, the fest is a good time- so I'll see you there in September! Look for the News 12 Connecticut booth.

No comments: