Thursday, September 28, 2006

I've had a thousand calories, but I haven't really EATEN yet!

After 45 minutes on the treadmill last April, I vowed to give up my favorite candy, Cadbury Creme Eggs.  The counter showed I had burned around 400 calories, still not enough to burn off the three chocolate covered, creamy centered seasonal savories. Three eggs have 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 84 carbs. Plus I knew I'd eat a fourth one later on since they come in a box of four.



I gave that fourth one away and didn't buy any more even when they were on sale after Easter. But I started thinking about them again recently as Halloween candy has hit the shelves. I wonder when they'll make Cadbury Creme Eyeballs? I'm thinking I would have to forbid myself from eating those as well.



Most goodies like Creme Eggs come in packaging that tells you how many calories and carbs and grams of fat are in them. Fast food places have even started posting nutritional information. However, many restaurants still don't list such information on menus. As for the ones that do, like Red Lobster, do you really want to know?



Yes,  you can enjoy an entire Broiled Maine Lobster (no butter) for a mere 145 calories and two carbs. But don't touch any of those what they call "Cheddar Bay Biscuits." Each has 160 calories, nine grams of fat and 17 carbs. I usually eat three, inlcuding one to soak up all the blue cheese dressing in my salad.



If your favorite national chain doesn't list nutritional information, you can find it at CalorieKIng.com.



You can also search the website for information on specific food items like an an apple. 80 calories. Or traditionally prepared foods like meatloaf. 205 calories. (Hey- that's less than a chocolate cake donut at Dunkin and an Egg McMuffin, both have 290 calories.)



Now, find out how many calories you need to maintain, lose or gain weight.



Happy Eating! Oh, and this season's candy is nearly harmless. Candy corn doesn't have any fat and one serving only has 104 calories.



View my "What's Bugging You" on counting calories.

No comments: