Thursday, November 30, 2006

HO HO HOliday SHOping

I don't know why I went to Macy's on 34th street the day after Thanksgiving. I don't like to go there any other day of the year unless I know exactly what I want and go straight to it.


I guess I just wanted to see the crowd and test my patience. It proved good practice. I used yoga breathing exercises.


However, I must bring into question the report released by MasterCard Worldwide earlier this week. It revealed "Black Friday" didn't rank in the top five of busiest holiday shopping days of last year.


Hence we must define shopping. MasterCard is looking at money spent, not number of wailing women surging through turnstalls. Yet for most, shopping doesn't necessarily mean spending. Don't get me wrong, I like spending, just not shopping. So I can see why the majority of people aren't spending the most money the day after Thanksgiving. They are looking; searching for the deals the stores advertise and promise. I think shopping for some is escapism, with thoughts like: "Who would I be if I owned this pocketbook and jacket?" It's time away from responsibility and reality.


Maybe I should go shopping more?


I had a fun time "shopping" at Tiffany's in Westport with my photographer Lori Golias as we were preparing our "What's Bugging You" on holiday gift giving.


Santa06 Santa05We also took our annual picture with Santa. Both of these are from the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford.


However after this year's shoot I was asked what I asked Santa for. That's when I realized I hadn't asked him for anything. So I started thinking about what I wanted.


2006 & 2005 at the Milford Mall.


Sure, for my Bugging piece I made a list of things ranging from a maid to a Lexus to a crumb scraper, but realistically, what did I want? I decided to make a of list of what I could do better in life, and then what actions I had to take to achieve those goals.


I figure while spending or receiving can cheer you up for the moment, living the best life you can is actual fulfillment. 


That's not to say that large, though empty, Tiffany's box (remnant from my Bugging piece) sitting on my desk at work isn't a thrill.  I smile every time someone freaks out over it and I get to undo the ribbon again and show them... its empty! Well, except for that wish list I made. And a picture of John Mayer. But that is a different story.


            

No comments: