Friday, October 20, 2006

Fries with that Beanie Baby

Maybe you've paid an extra two dollars for a sugary cereal because your kids wanted the prize inside. Or you bought the name brand version of a product because of the familiar smiling face on the label. No doubt you've idled through the drive-through time and time again, not just for the fries, but to collect all four worthless valuables. Even after making fun of a mother for doing so, I found myself pulling up so I could get a cuddly mini beany-baby. For the dog, of course. She also got the fries.



Making Mickey Mouse a leader, Disney announced earlier this week that it will phase out promotion of its characters with unhealthy food. The company also plans to offer healthier foods at its theme parks.



This has to be a step in the right direction. I don't have children, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to tell them they can't collect the latest figurine because I don't want them eating french fries. Don't you know they would just go out and eat french fries every time they were away from me in retaliation? I know I scoffed and frowned at the people all ordering burgers and fries just to get the latest teanie beanie baby that year. I think it was 1997. However, it wasn't long after that the promotions people got me. That darn little critter was just too cute to drive by! (And like I said, my dog needed a toy to chew on.)

No comments: