Friday, June 30, 2006

SUPER- the sequel

I'd like to share some responce I've received to my prior blog "SUPER-sized and in 3D."



Chris R. from Bridgeport writes: Hello Heather, I read your blog and I agree with you. That movie was too long. Nowadays hollywood sticks you with 3 hour plus movies or something similar. I hope you can cover that in a future "What's Bugging You Segment". Have a great 4th of July Weekend!



Connecticut Post Movie Critic Joe Meyers told me he wasn't crazy about "Superman Returns." He wrote: " I didn't think the actor who played him was very good (compared with C. Reeve) and Lois was too young and naive (I hated them having her tote that little boy around all the time, too).
CLICK HERE to read his full review for the Post. You might remember Meyers helped me out with a previous "What's Bugging You" segment by explaining why you might not find the raving reviews found in movie ads in the critic's actual review. He says many times publicists call critics and ask just for a quote before their review is written so it can be used in ads. He says he doesn't think the practice is really ethical, because then the critic faces the challenge of having to write that quote into the review.



Back to Meyer's response of what he thought of "Superman Returns."  He says  it had to be a lot more fun in 3-D. I thought so, but I've also been told some people think the 3-D made it too jarring. Here is more of Meyer's responce. I did read in the Times that the IMAX theaters had their biggest advance sales ever for this picture. Hollywood does need to do special, big format material to blast people off their couches and into theaters. When I was young there was a a big screen process called Cinerama that was very popular (and so much more fun that watching a movie at home on TV).



Superman received mixed reviews from the critics. You can read the articles from most of the major papers on Metacritic.

No comments: