Thursday, June 29, 2006

SUPER-sized and in 3D

In order to draw people out of their make-shift theatre living environs and into movie theatres, Hollywood needs to sweeten the deal. Besides, it's much more comfortable on my couch with the ability to pause and rewind while wrapped in a blankie than it is sitting nearly straight up in a hard chair in an either freezing or hot room with two heads right in front of me.



However, entice me with a screen that is 72 feet wide and 52 feet tall and have the characters jump out into my lap, and I might pay the ten to 14-dollar ticket.



With Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience, which opened Wednesday, Warner Bros. has released the world's first live action feature with segments converted from ordinary two-dimentions into IMAX 3D. I saw a screening of the movie Tuesday night and it is interesting that you don't have to wear the large goofy glasses throughout the entire movie. Flashing icons tell you when to put the glasses on or to take them off. I enjoyed the experience,  but now worry my own 50-inch screen won't suffice.



I just hope the current trend of making two-hour-plus movies doesn't last. Maybe it's meant to make you feel like you got your ten-dollars worth, but I still don't want to sit in a non-childproof kick chair for that long. The only criticism I have for Superman Returns is that it was too long. Two-hours and 34-minutes in all. (No, that is AFTER previews.)



A local link to the film: Kate Bosworth, who plays Lois Lane, lived in Darien from the age of nine to 13. The new Superman, Brandon Routh, grew up in Norwalk, but not Connecticut, rather Norwalk, Ohio. He's cute anyway. To see the movie in both IMAX and 3D, you might have to drive to Manchester, Connecticut, or New York. Find out here.



To see compare figures at the box office from this weekend to last weekend to a year ago, click here.

No comments: