Friday, November 10, 2006

To the Max with Squash

Every nBeatnik_007ow and then I am inspired by the chef on What's Cooking to try to create what we cook here in the studio. As long as it only takes a few steps and even fewer ingredients I am usually partially successful. But without even following the recipe - just remembering I needed a couple of acorn squash, some sort of ground meat to roll up in a ball, butter and nutmeg I began the experiment. I must say it was successful! The most difficult part was cutting these squash in half. None of my knives were sharp enough.Max2 I had to perforate around the cut lines and yank. For the holidays I recommend this stylish dish, recipe courtesy of Max Tucci, the son of Mario Tucci, the man who owned the famed Delmonico restaurant in New York City.



Turkey Meat-Loaf with Autumn Harvest Acorn Squash



Serves 6



Prep time 15 minutes  Cook time 1hr 15minutes



3 Acorn Squash



1lb ground turkey     (Instead of ground turkey I used a mix of beef, lamb and pork.)



2 eggs beaten      



half stick butter    



1 small onion chopped fine



1/4 cup milk



1 1/2 tbs salt



1 1/2 tbs peppercorn melange or black pepper or both ( I also graded some jalapeno in the meat)



2 tbs parsley



1/2 cup bread crumbs



nutmeg powder



Beatnik_008Mix ground turkey, eggs, chopped onion, milk, salt and pepper and parsley together in a mixing bowl



Cut in half 3 acorn squash (making 6) remove all seeds, place a thin slice of butter in each squash. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil.



Roll meat into large meatballs, filling the squash. Add a slice of butter on top sprinkle with nutmeg and bread crumbs.



Bake for an hour and 15 minutes



Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or asparagus. Flavor with cranberry sauce.

No comments: